Sunday, July 24, 2011

BPAL Metamorphosis 2011

Since my computer is currently in a bin in my father's garage and my loaner doesn't have MS Office on it, I'm trying to keep up with my spreadsheets by at least entering the data here.

Last summer, Beth Barrial of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab did an amazing series of moth & butterfly scents called "Metamorphosis," and she's done it again this year. I got decants of all 8, and am working my way through testing each of them. The scents are limited edition, available until August 15th, and you can buy them here.

THE MOTHS:

ATLAS
Mallow, oak bark, coffee bean, hinoki wood, and khus.

This is odd but beautiful--vanilla and wood.

BRAHMIN
Rose otto, red ginger, caraway seed, myrrh, orange peel, mandarin leaf, black peppercorn, and vanilla orchid.

Very spicy vanilla.

IO
Red musk, pomegranate, cranberry, blackberry, mango, purple sage, thyme, and angelica root.

On my skin, this is a soft, well-blended berry scent with just a tiny herbal edge to keep it from being too sweet.

PUSSY
Orange blossom honey, brown sugar, saffron, tonka absolute, and tobacco leaf.

Since I tend to amp sweet scents, it is no surprise that this is all honey and brown sugar on me, but I'm bummed that I can't find the saffron and the tobacco.

THE BUTTERFLIES:

BLUE MORPHO
Wild orchid, pikake, honeysuckle, calla lily, agave nectar, pink geranium, violet leaf, and white amber.

Soft, well-blended floral.

GOLIATH BIRDWING
White sage, lemongrass, lemon balm, dusty beige musk, and drops of anise.

On me, this is almost entirely sage flowers--not the leaves, but the faint floral of the flowerheads, which smell like a very light lilac. It's stronger than sticking your nose into a sage plant, where the flowers get overwhelmed by the herbal/cookery scent of the leaves. I wish I got even a hint of lemonbalm in this one, but it's pretty.

MOURNING CLOAK
Opoponax, kumaru, cocoa butter, Mysore sandalwood, verbena, almond milk, guiac wood, beeswax, and myrrh.


On my skin, this is sweet dusty sandalwood with a bit of spice.

PURPLE SPOTTED SWALLOWTAIL
Black plum, opium poppy, dusky amber, opoponax, castoreum accord, dried berries, tolu balsam, clove bud, and lime.

Oooh, this just does not work on my skin--very astringent with an undertone of fleshy flower petals.

No comments:

Post a Comment