Monday, April 27, 2015

BPAL Seraglio

purchased and reviewed by ThoraSTooth

BPAL Seraglio (Ars Amatoria):  Sweet almond and Mysor sandalwood enveloped by a heady veil of Bulgarian Rose, neroli, nutmeg, clove and orange peel.

I can't explain it rationally, but it's like this.  Of all the BPAL scents I have tried (and it's over 2000 now), Seraglio is the only one I have picked up and felt completely at home with every single time I've opened it.  It's not how I want to smell most of the time, and there are others I enjoy wearing more than this one.  But if I had to choose only one BPAL scent to represent me for the rest of my life, this would be the one.

In the vial, Seraglio reads a little bit like the sweets portion of a Middle Eastern store.  Wafts of almond, rose, orange, and spices manage to make it smell good enough to eat without smelling exactly like candy, a baked good, or a tray ofbaklava.

On my skin, it's more almond and sandalwood at first.  After it dries down, a nice Old Rose scent blends with the sandalwood.  The almond just barely registers, while the orange and spices stay in the background but are noticeable.  Throughout, the neroli contributes a sort of high floral note that is a little strong at first but calms down quickly.  And since I enjoy neroli, I'm willing to sit through those first moments.

This scent doesn't last on me as long as some others do, but it's not fugitive either.  It has about a four- or five-hour effective life on my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment