Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab: Faiza, the Black Mamba

purchased and reviewed by ThoraSTooth 


BPAL Scent of the Day: Faiza, the Black Mamba (Carnaval Diabolique III) -- A sensual blend of twisting, exotic, serpentine oils: black amber, caraway, oakmoss, green sandalwood, bergamot, jasmine sambac, gardenia, orange pulp, vanilla, blackberry, black musk, white honey, ti leaf, and ginger.

I have a special relationship with this scent.  It's my "I am an exotic beauty" scent.  It's also very complex:  just look at all those listed notes!  Fortunately, not all of them try to make themselves the focal point of the scent; the balance on this one is carefully wrought.

Faiza starts off green, mostly bergamot and cool jasmine sambac with a slightly sweet-fruity cast.  On my skin the floral and honey notes come up, held back by something warm, dry, and tannic.  But when it dries down, then it really hits its stride.  It's a basket woven of musk and sandalwood filled with complex citrusy florals sweetened by a touch of honey.  At maturity I even get glimpses of the white ginger lily note.  You'd think the listed florals would overwhelm it, but they never do.  Throughout it retains the impression of green and darkness, cool despite the warm base, mysterious, and very very lovely.

I find I tend to wear this scent for solemn occasions as well as for high state occasions (like going to the opera).  It is my "remember that you are beautiful" scent.  It also layers perfectly over the Invidia bath oil from BPTP .

No comments:

Post a Comment