Friday, June 19, 2015

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab: Host of the Air

purchased and reviewed by ThoraSTooth

BPAL Scent of the Day:  The Host of the Air (Bards of Ireland 2009) -- Peat and rolling grass-covered hills, with wine-dappled heather, white clover, cloudberry, juniper berry, bluebell, dandelion, and cross-leaved heath.

Yeats is my favorite poet, and I was happy when I was able to wear this scent based on one of his poems.

In the bottle this one is green, a bit sharp, and sort of mossy, but the minute it hits my skin a sweet floral springs up.  It's white clover, the best white clover note I have ever smelled.  It doesn't last very long before the heather note comes along and wraps around it.  Together with a hint of dandelion (I get mostly the milky stem) they make a beautiful impression of a wide, wild, flowering field.  The other dominant note on my skin is a green juicy note that's very like the ivy note in some of the scents that came after this one.  All that is against a background of slightly bitter, slightly mossy dark green.

I love this one immoderately.  Of all my scents, it's the one I worry the most about running out of because I only ever had a partial bottle of it and haven't been able to find another bottle.  It's that evocative, that lovely.

And never was piping so sad,
And never was piping so gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment